Lake Bernard    
Lake Bernard Lake Bernard Lake Bernard


Association Clubhouse


This section is to record historical information about the cottager's association clubhouse.

The below was taken from a telephone interview with John LeBlanc, who was 82 years old at the time, on April 19, 2010. 

During World War II, cottagers who were able would spend most of the season at the Lake, in large part due to rationing of gasoline and tires, which made travel difficult.  Those fortunate enough to spend summers on the Lake during those times developed a camaraderie born from the isolation.

In the later years of the War, perhaps 1943, Saturday night entertainment often took the form of a combination dance and bingo game. They were commonly hosted by neighbouring cottagers where teenagers enjoyed the dance at one cottage while the bingo game was attended by younger children and adults. One of the first such events involved a dance at the Lewis (now Lahey) cottage and a bingo at the nearby Topp cottage. Later events were held at the LeBlanc cottage and many others around the Lake.

During this time, Lena Davies was involved and perhaps led an effort to build a Clubhouse on the Lake.  A fund raising took place which involved Lena Davies and several teenagers (Norma Mobley, John LeBlanc and others) and within a few days, they had collected a substantial amount of money from cottagers around the Lake. The contribution was presented to the Lake Bernard Fishing Club (or perhaps the Cottagers Association) with a request to build a Clubhouse.  The matter was taken up by the Club and the decision was made to match the amount of the contribution. The McClelland family agreed to donate a piece of land and the decision was made to build the Clubhouse.

Plans were drawn up and construction began in June and the building was officially opened on the evening of Saturday August 7th, 1948. The construction effort was supervised by Francis Rowe in co-operation with Joseph O’Hara, a local carpenter who provided the expertise. Many of the teenagers on the Lake provided the labour. This was before electricity was available on the Lake and hand tools were used for the construction.

John LeBlanc could not recall the names of all who helped in the construction but he did remember an incident that took place near the end of the project where Charles Barry was nailed to the roof by Reg Hardy.

A piano was donated to the Clubhouse by Mary Turner’s grandmother and music for the dances was in the form of a Victrola phonograph player or battery operated radio.  Ice had to be carried in to the Clubhouse for each event as there were no provisions for making or storing ice on site.

Submitted by Charles Topp

5

 

 

 

 

Clubhouse Plaque

1948 Clubhouse Plaque

©copyright 2012 - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Website Charter